Lymm Timeline. Do you have more we can add ? If you are a local history enthusiast perhaps you would like to take it over and manage it ? If so or if you would just like to make a correction or minor addition contact us through the contact page .
1086 Lymm appears in the Domesday Book
1316 Lymm Hall estate passed from Gilbert de Limme to Thomas Legh de West Hall, in High Legh,
1322 Approximate date of original St Mary's Church
1521 St Mary's Church tower built
1569 Church registers start to be held
1597 Lymm Grammar School founded
16?? Lymm Slitting Mill - water powered mill for slitting wrought iron bars and making nails built (other sources say 1720)
1652 175 people buried in Lymm Churchyard died from plague
1697 Lymm Estate passed by will to John Halstead son of a female Domville and Urdula D. m Wm Massey Sale
1733 Date over the door of a cottage facing canal by village centre bridge.
1734 Butchersfield Canal opens on the Mersey cutting out river loop that came to Statham.
1761 First section of Bridgewater Canal completed. Worsley to Salford.
1765 Adoption of enclosure act - resulting in the basic field shapes seen today
1767 Bridgewater Canal dig reaches Lymm
1771 Malt Kilns - adjacent to Corn Mills at lower dam already in operation
1776 Extension of Bridgewater Canal through Lymm opens. Packet Boat service starts.
1795 property auction incl Dane Bank House and 50+ other lots following death of Mr Domville-Poole in previous year
1797-8Lymm raises a large sum and a voulnteer force as part of national mobilisation to prepare to repel possible invasion.
c1800 Slitting Mill uses the flatten iron bars to make barrel hoops, later is owned for a while by woolen manufacturer.
1801 Population: 1622
1805 First reference to fustian cutter of Lymm Williiam Clayton
1811 Population: 1908
1817 Lymm Rushbearing apparently already established
1821 Population: 2090
1824 Primitive Methodist Preaching begins in Lymm in a school room
1824 Warrington-Stockport Turnpike opens and , with it, Lymm Dam. New stage-coach services.
1828 first Fustian cutting shop already open - may have been earlier
c1835 Slitting Mill pulled down
1841 Population: 2658
1846 Lymm Hall Estate broken up on death of Rev. Taylor
1846 Representative of Lymm fustian Cutters meets others in Manchester to try to initiate a stop to child labour
1849 Horse-drawn omnibus service starts operation from Lymm to railway station at Altrincham.
1849 Primitive Methodist Chapel built Eagle Brow
1850 Twenty-three fustian cutting businesses operating according to Trade Directory
1851 Population: 3156
1851 Fourth building of St Mary's Church
1853 W’ton & Stockport Railway - Lymm and Heatley & Warburton railway stations open.
1861 Population: 3769
1861 George Dewhurst bring his new bride - 23 years his junior - To Beechwood Hall > Big Village Celebration in fireworks
1862 Gas Works Opens
1863 The Rixton & Warburton Bridge Act -permitting a toll road to be built over the Mersey.
1863 Government Commission shows 700 people employed in Fustian Cutting in Lymm- at least 24 workshops operating
1863 School Built
1871 Population: 4541
1872 St Peter's Church Oughtrington erected - courtesy of the Dewhurst Family
1873 Mersey & Irwell Regatta at Warburton Bridge.
1874 Oughtrington Constituted as a parish
1875 First steam driven boats in regular use on Bridgewater Canal
1880 Rushbearing discontinued
1881 Oughtrington formed into an ecclesiastical parish
1881 Lymm Tennis & Croquet Club formed
1881 Population: 4665
1884 Oughtrington Park Cricket Club established
1885 New Grammar School built
1887 Lymm team reported in Rugby results
1887 Dewhurst family give £200 relief to provide temporary work for unemployed impoversihed fustian cutters
1888 Lymm Waterworks opens
1889 St Mary's Church tower rebuilt
1889 First Band of Hope/May Queen
1891 Severe Winter- Bwater canal closed in January
1891 Fustian Cutter Strike
1891 Ship Canal starts to operate as far as Saltport at entrance to Weaver Navigation.
1891 New set of eight bells installed at St Mary
1891 Conservative club opened
1894 Local Government Act - major reform - Lymm Urban District Council Created ?
1894 Manchester Ship Canal opens with new cantilever bridge in place at Warburton.
1896 3rd volunteer regiment of Cheshire Regiment take possession of Drill Hall as HQ
1897 New Primitive Methodist chapel built Eagle Brow -old chapel becomes Sunday School
1897 Lymm Cross renovated for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
1899 Electric tramway from Warrington through Lymm to Knutsford proposed - doesn't materialise
1901 Liverpool Self-propelled Traffic Association motor-car trial passes through Lymm.
1902 Lymm Council offices formally opened on Brookfield Rd/Whitbarrow Road
1903c Lymm Salt Works opened
1906 First Bus service to Warrington from Lymm. (not confirmed).
1906 Heatley Salt Works Opens
1907 Lymm Golf Club Opens
1909? Wrights goldbeaters moves from Manchester to Lymm
1911 Sale of the Beechwood Estate
1913 Lymm Urban District Council purchases Lymm Water Company through Act of Parliament
1914-1918??? Local men and women perish in the Great War
1921 War Memorial Dedicated
1924 Freemasons - Domville Lodge dedicated
1925 Last fustian Cutting shop closes ?
1935 Corn Mill in Village Centre demolished
1935 Agden Salt Works opens
1938 Church Road widened across the dam to cater for increased traffic.
1938 Manchester “Ringway” Airport – opens for passenger traffic.
1939-1945?? Men and women perish in the Second World War
1948 May Queen reinstated after wartime interruption
1950 Heatley Salt Works Closes
1951 Bridgewater Players Founded - perform at Lymm Cinema util closed in 1962
1955 Lymm Cruising Club formed.
1955 Grammar School moves to Oughtrington Hall
1960 Lymm Rugby Club formed
1960 Agden Salt Works Closes
1962 Lymm and Heatley & Warburton stations closed to passenger traffic.
1962 Lymm Cinema Closes
1963 M6 Thelwall Viaduct opens.
1966 Brazil & Russia in Lymm for World Cup
1967 History society formed
1968 Lymm twins with Meung sur Loire
1968 Bridgewater Players leave Lymm for Thelwall.
1969 Lymm first car park and parking restrictions.
1971 Breach at Dunham closes the Bridgewater Canal – effective end of commercial traffic.
1972 National Waterways Rally at Lymm.
1973 Bridgewater Canal re-opens.
1974 Lymm becomes part of Borough of Warrington
1974 M56 Lymm junction with M6 opens.
1976? Royal British Legion Branch opens at Legh St
1985 Last freight trains run though Lymm.
1985 Annual Lymm Dickensian initiated by Monica Spence
1995? Dingle Hotel closes.
1995 Second Thelwall Viaduct opens.
1998 Warrington becomes a unitary authority
1999? Lymm Festival established
2001 Trans-Pennine Trail officially opened.
2009 Lymm Runners established
2012 Tour of Britain Cycle Race passes through Lymm.
2013 Lymm Youth & Community Centre becomes a Community Asset handed over by Warrington B.C.
2013 HS2 rail-line proposals announced with major implications for East of Lymm.
2013 June 23rd The inaugural Lymm Historic Transport Day.
2015 Royal British Legion Club - latterly known as The Boat Stage -closes